Charlie's Pond

Charlie's Pond - C.L. Heckman, Jennifer M. Caprioli, Kyle Lechleitner I don't know if I have the words to describe how much this novel moved me. I read it in one sitting. I could not put it down. Immediately, I was reminded of other classic tales depicting abuse: "The Glass Castle", "White Oleander", and Angelica Huston's deeply moving film "Bastard Out of Carolina". This is not a book for the faint of heart - it tells the story of a young girl subjected to physical and emotional abuse from a disturbed mother and, almost more terrifying, from a passively abusive father. But worst of all is her brother - once so loved and thought of as a protector - who ultimately becomes her worst nightmare.

We follow this child through life - at school, identifying herself as a victim, she becomes the object of brutal bullying. Trust and friendship come hard for her for experience tells her that the axe will soon fall - fear is her constant companion. How she grows and learns to begin to trust is the crux of this novel.

I defy anyone to read this without tears. Mine are still falling as I write this. Ms. Heckman's novel is nothing short of a masterpiece. You will not regret reading it.