Book Review: Gran-sdur: The Games by Jan Raymond

I thoroughly enjoyed Gran-sdur: The Games by Jan Raymond, the 2nd full-length novel in the Pha-yul Trilogy. I read Raymond's first book (Circle of Five) a while ago and, despite the time in between reads, had no trouble at all re-immersing myself into her wonderful world.

The trilogy is an exciting YA fantasy about five teenagers who suddenly discover they have superpowers and are inducted into a secret society, hidden high in the Himalayas: Pha-yul.

In the sequel, the kids have gained some maturity, bonded together and are being coached by their mentor, Mr. Harris, to compete in a series of games that will be played at Pha-yul. These games, however, are not just sporting competitions, but rather may decide the actual fate of the world.

Raymond's writing is crisp and clean, and her characters evolve and grow during the course of the novel. The games themselves are exciting and I had a hard time putting this book down. I warn you there is a cliff-hanger ending and, like me, you will be chomping at the bit to read the final novel in the trilogy when it is published.

While the target audience for Raymond's trilogy is young adults, this is a read (like Harry Potter) that can be enjoyed by people of all ages. Gran-sdur: The Games is a wonderful read and I recommend it to you with great enthusiasm!

Source: http://www.amazon.com/review/R63YKCY3K8OIN/ref=cm_cr_pr_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B00OZAEYTY